A few people have asked me for my Tortilla soup recipe recently so I thought I would share it here. Its a great hearty soup and best part its low in fat and super easy to make.
- 1 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and sliced thinly
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (Optional… depends how spicy you like it)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 800g can whole tomatoes, broken up into chunks with your fingers (it’s fun!)
- 800g vegetable broth
- 2 cups crushed baked tortilla chips plus extra for garnish
- 425g pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- Optional: diced avocado for garnish
1. In a large pot with a lid, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute for 2-3 minutes. Toss in the jalapeños, bell pepper, and garlic, cooking them for another 3 minutes or so. Sprinkle in the cumin and red pepper flakes (if using), toasting the spices for about another minute.
2. Break up tomatoes with your fingers and add them with juice to the pot. Then add the vegetable broth, and crushed tortilla chips (bigger bits are okay too). Cover the pot and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, add the beans and the corn and cook for about 5 minutes.
3. Take the pot off the heat, stir in the lime juice and the cilantro and let the soup sit covered for about 5 minutes to let the flavors marry. Enjoy garnished with some extra chips, cilantro and some avocado.